Join us and Julien Icher as he shares his work on the Lafayette Trail with Alliance Française de Louisville!
Julien Pierre Icher is a 29-year-old French national, Founder, and President of The Lafayette Trail, Inc. (thelafayettetrail.org) He is a graduate of the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, one of the few French Grandes Ecoles. He holds a bachelor’s degree with a double major in history and geography, as well as two master’s degrees: one in human geography, the other in digital geographies, with a focus on the integration of spatial data in web environments.
At age 24, he accompanied President Emmanuel Macron of France as the youngest member of the French Presidential Delegation during President Macron’s state visit to Washington, D.C. in April of 2018. Julien’s mission was to help emphasize the historical bonds of friendship that have formally united France and the U.S. since the signing of the treaty of Alliance in 1778, and the critical role that Lafayette played in their formation.
Julien is the host and director of Follow The Frenchmen, a YouTube-based not-for-profit web series produced by The Lafayette Trail, Inc. exploring and interpreting the significance of Lafayette’s legacy, in particular the Frenchman’s tour of the U.S. in 1824-1825.
The Lafayette Trail, Inc. (thelafayettetrail.org) is a nonprofit organization with the mission to document, map, and mark General Lafayette’s footsteps during his Farewell Tour of the United States in 1824 and 1825. It aims to educate the public about the national significance of Lafayette’s Tour and to promote a broader understanding of Lafayette’s numerous contributions to American independence and national coherence in preparation for the 2024-2025 tour bicentennial celebrations.
The Lafayette Trail, Inc. grows its outreach by focusing primarily on three sectors:
- A historic marker program, which counts to this date over 109 recipients across 19 of the 24 states that Lafayette visited during the tour;
- A web series called Follow The Frenchmen available on YouTube, which counts to this day 15 episodes;
- A daily presence on the three main social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
Julien’s recent publications include:
- “Lafayette: A Bridge between Two Revolutions”, Discover Concord, Concord, MA, Spring 2021, 16-17.
- “In Lafayette’s Footsteps: Memorializing the General’s Tour in New Hampshire”, Historical New Hampshire, Vol. 71, No. 1, Spring 2018, 20-43.